EBT is an abbreviation for Electronic Benefits Transfer.
This is an electronic system that allows a participant of the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, to pay for food using their SNAP benefits.
EBT cards are great, but there is a limit to the kind of purchases you can make with them.
Here is a list of things you can use your EBT card at Walmart to buy:
- Dairy products
- Snack foods
- Non-alcoholic beverages
- Seeds and plants that can produce food for a household to eat
Things You Can’t Buy From Walmart With EBT
On the other hand, here is a list of items you cannot buy from Walmart with an EBT card:
- Hot foods
- Live animals
- Pet food
- Cleaning supplies
The things in this list are not considered food essentials.
That is why you are not able to purchase them with your EBT card.
Food essentials are everyday products that you need in order to survive and live well.
Alcohol and cigarettes are not everyday items that you need to have, they are a want or a pleasurable item.
How To Pay With EBT At Walmart?
As with most other types of reward or loyalty cards, your EBT can be used to pay for your purchase. However, things are done a little bit differently.
To use your EBT card to pay for a purchase at a pickup point, this is what you need to do:
- Go to a pickup point. This is where you will place your EBT Order.
- Select the pickup location, the timeslot, as well as the products you are wanting to purchase with your EBT card.
- Tap Continue.
- Take your EBT card to the pickup area.
- At the pickup area, a Walmart associate will process your payment for you.
Alternatively, and more commonly, you can use your EBT card at the checkout point to pay for your items.
- At the checkout point, swipe your EBT card through the machine.
- Follow the instructions that pop up on the screen of the machine and enter your PIN.
- The machine, or the cashier, will proved you with the purchase amount.
- Check your receipts to ensure the EBT purchase amount matches the grocery receipt amount.
What To Do If You’ve Lost Your EBT Card
In the unfortunate event that you have lost your EBT, the first thing you will need to do is report it.
This will start the process of getting yourself a new EBT card.
To report your card lost, stolen, or damaged, you will need to call 1-888-328-6399.
This number is the toll-free customer service number.
It is also possible to report a lost card by going to an EBT Help Desk or the local food stamp office.
The lost card will need to be deactivated and a new card will need to be drawn from the inventory.
The new card will need to be set up with your information as well as with your desired PIN.
The card’s information must also be added to the system’s database and linked to your account.
Following this, the card will be delivered to you.
You can expect your new EBT card to be delivered between two and five business days.
Once you have received your card, you will need to call customer service once again to finalize the setup of your card by requesting they activate it.
Can You Use EBT On The Walmart Website?
It is possible to use your EBT card on the Walmart website for online purchases.
To use your card for online purchases from Walmart, here is what you have to do:
Sign in to the Walmart Website or the Walmart App. If you do not have an account, you will need to create one.
- Update your payment information on the website or in the app.
- Add your EBT card details to your account to connect your EBT card to your account.
- After you have updated your payment information, you can start shopping!
- Fill your virtual shopping cart with everything you require.
- Once you have finished your virtual shop, click to review your cart.
- In the review section, you should see the total, as well as a total for the EBT-eligible items.
- When you have finished reviewing your cart, continue to checkout.
- In the checkout section, you will need to select your payment method.
- Select your EBT card as the payment method.
- If you choose to split the purchase between your EBT card and another card, you can enter the amount you would like to pay with your EBT card.
- Alternatively, it may be possible for your EBT card to cover the entire order.
- When you have finished choosing your payment method, click continue.
- After selecting continue, you should be redirected to an external page where you will need to enter your PIN.
- Following this, you will be redirected back to the Walmart site to complete your order.
EBT cards are a blessing for most people.
They provide the means to purchase their necessities easily and safely.
Thanks to supporting companies, it is easy to use your EBT card at many stores, both in-store and online.
Safety is also a priority with EBT cards.
In the event of a lost or stolen card, you can simply call customer service to have the lost card deactivated and replaced with a new one in a matter of a few business days.