Unfortunately, Walmart does not allow you to use Apple pay to purchase products from the store.
This is because Walmart has released its own digital wallet called Walmart Pay that uses QR technology.
However, there’s a way for customers to still use Apple Pay if it’s their preferred mode of payment.
Read below to find out how you can use your Apple Pay at Walmart!
How To Use Apple Pay At Walmart
Strictly speaking, Apple Pay isn’t accepted in any Walmart stores.
But as mentioned, there’s a way around this, and you can still use Apple Pay through a third-party app called Ibotta.
This app isn’t exactly a digital wallet but a cashback rewards app that allows you to generate returns or cashback on every purchase.
It will enable you to use Apple Pay as your preferred payment method, and Walmart accepts Ibotta.
Here’s how you can use this app in-store:
- Download the Ibotta app on your Android or iOS phone. Create an account and set it up before going to Walmart, so you won’t have to do it on the spot.
- At checkout, open the app or extension and enter the total amount of purchase. Then, use Apple Pay as your payment method in the app and show the generated barcode to the cashier. It’s basically buying a mobile gift card while you’re at the checkout.
- Once the cashier scans the code, get your receipt, and you’re all set. Since Ibotta is a cashback app, you will get 2% back for every purchase you make at Walmart.
Does Walmart Online Accept Apple Pay?
No, Walmart online does not accept Apple Pay.
The online store accepts a variety of payment methods that you might have apart from Apple Pay.
However, like the store, there’s a workaround that you can try so you can use your Apple Pay at the online store..
How To Use Apple Pay At Walmart Online
If you want to use Apple Pay at Walmart Online, Ibotta has a browser extension you can install.
Like the app, it accepts Apple Pay as a payment method and gives you 2% cashback for every purchase.
Follow the instructions below so you can use Apple Pay when shopping at Walmart Online:
- On your browser, visit the Ibotta website to add the extension to your web browser.
- Using the browser extension, log in to your Ibotta account. If you don’t have one, create and set up your account first.
- When you’re at the Walmart Online website, the extension window will pop up. Click Activate Make sure you’ve set up a payment method before using it for online shopping. But if you haven’t, it will remind you to set up your before checkout. Make sure to choose Apple Pay.
- Enjoy shopping at Walmart Online! Just remember, you only have 45 minutes to shop and check out once you click Activate. If you run out of time, just click the activate button again.
Why Does Walmart Not Support Apple Pay?
There are several reasons why Walmart does not support Apple Pay.
First, third-party platforms like Apple Pay often have a processing fee that comes with every transaction.
Although the digital wallet claims that it doesn’t charge anyone for using its services, the burden of paying the fees is handed to the vendors who accept this type of payment, like Walmart.
Since third-party payment methods add extra costs to the vendors on each transaction, it cuts into the profits made by the stores.
The processing fees depend on the card or payment method issuer, so Walmart may face higher fees that would cut their earnings.
Like every store, Walmart aims to get the most out of its every sale.
To do that, they need to limit all the extra charges with a purchase.
Unfortunately, some stores usually pass them to their customers, which is why they often have higher prices.
But we all know that doesn’t really work.
To avoid this problem, Walmart decided not to accept Apple Pay and created its own digital wallet, Walmart Pay.
The store’s native digital wallet is the second reason you can’t use your Apple Pay at Walmart.
Of course, the store will push its customers to use its own wallet instead of other types.
That’s why all other digital wallets are not accepted in the store.
But if you regularly shop at Walmart, it might be a good idea to look at opening a Walmart Pay instead.
It works like any other digital wallet.
All you have to do is connect your card and shop at Walmart.
When paying, all you have to do is open the app, and it will generate a QR code.
Just scan the code at the checkout, and you’re good to go.
It can provide you with the convenience you need when shopping at Walmart and Walmart Online.
Furthermore, Walmart loves branding, and adding a different payment platform that competes with their own digital wallet won’t look good with its brand.
In addition, putting their brand in almost everything can attract more customers to the store.
That’s why the company created its own digital wallet.
This new addition to the brand appeals to customers looking for a contactless payment method.
With a digital wallet, they will feel more encouraged to shop at Walmart over other stores that don’t support this type of payment.
Apple Pay Alternatives That Walmart Accepts
If Apple Pay isn’t accepted at Walmart, you’re probably wondering what you can use when shopping at the store.
Below are the payment methods accepted at Walmart:
- Major credit cards like MasterCard, Visa, and American Express.
- Cash or personal checks
- Debit card
- Money orders (which you can get directly from a Walmart store)
- Walmart MoneyCard
- Walmart gift cards
- Amex gift cards
- Walmart Credit card
- SNAP food stamps (in some locations)
For the online store, here are other payment methods you can use in addition to major credit cards:
- Chase Pay
- Amex Express Checkout
Related Article: What Bills Can You Pay At Walmart?
How To Pay With iPhone At Walmart
If you want to use your iPhone to pay at Walmart, you can do so by downloading the Walmart Pay app.
Follow the instructions below to start using your Apple phone to pay for your groceries:
- On your iPhone, open the App Store and type Walmart Pay in the search box.
- Look for Walmart Pay on the search results and download the app. Wait for the app to be installed on your phone.
- Once downloaded and installed, open the app and create an account.
- Then, connect your debit or credit card to the app, and you can start using the app.
- To use the app, go to the counter and checkout as you would normally do and wait for the QR code to be generated. Scan the code on your iPhone, and the Walmart Pay app will open. Pay it using your credit card, and you’re all done.
Other Stores That Accept Apple Pay
If you’d like to use your Apple Pay, here are some that accept this payment method:
- Acme Markets
- Food Maxx
- Mc Donalds
- Save Mart
- Shop N Save
- Super Valu
- Taco Bell
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn Dixie
Below are other online stores that accept apple pay:
- Best Buy
- Dunkin’ Donuts
Walmart does not allow customers to use Apple Pay as their payment method.
There are many reasons for this, but the most obvious one is its native digital wallet app, Walmart Pay.
But don’t worry, the store accepts other payment methods so you’ll surely find one that works for you.
If you like convenience, Walmart Pay is an ideal option.
It’s available on both Android and iPhones.
But if you still prefer Apple Pay, you can try the trick we mentioned above!