Yes, you can use Apple Pay and many other digital wallets at McDonald’s.
In fact, the fast-food chain started accepting this payment in 2014, making them one of the first companies to embrace digital wallet innovation.
In addition, you can use it for drive-through orders, so you can fully enjoy contactless payments any time you want.
Read below how you can use your Apple Pay at McDonald’s!
How to Use Apple Pay At McDonald’s
If you have used Apple Pay before, it would be easy for you to use this digital wallet to order at McDonald’s.
However, if you’re new to this method, follow the instructions below:
- Before ordering, make sure that your Apple Pay is properly set up in your phone. All you need to do is add your credit or debit card to your mobile wallet. To do this, open the app on your iPhone or iPad and follow the instructions provided.
- You have two options to add a card: you can take a photo of it or manually input your details in the app. You can add multiple cards if you want to use more than one card. If you have over one card in your device, the primary card you set will always be the first card used when paying with Apple Pay.
- After setting up your Apple Pay, you’re ready to purchase at McDonald’s.
- Once you’re at the counter, open the Apple Pay on your phone. You can do it manually or press the lock button twice quickly. This will open Apple Pay right away.
- Once you’ve opened Apple Pay, bring your iPhone or iPad close to the terminal. In some cases, the terminal works instantly even before you put the phone as close to it as possible. However, sometimes, you need to keep it as close to the terminal as possible for it to work.
- Wait for the terminal to accept your payment. Typically, you’ll see a green light when your payment is approved and processed.
- Check the Apple Pay and the terminal if you need to answer some questions or prove your identity using a PIN or signature.
- Lastly, wait for your receipt and your purchase is successful.
How To Use Apple Pay Work In McDonald’s Drive Thru
If you’re planning to use Apple Pay at a McDonald’s drive thru, follow the steps below:
- Drive up to the speaker and order as you would usually do.
- Next, inform the cashier that you’ll pay using Apple Pay. They should pass you the card reader. This is because your iPhone or iPad should be in close contact with the payment terminal, which can be challenging with drive thru. That’s why it’s necessary for you to hold it if you’re using Apple Pay as payment.
- Then, press the iPhone’s right-side button twice to launch Apple Pay.
- If you’re using a Face ID, look at the iPhone’s screen. If you’re not, enter your passcode or use the Touch ID.
- Lastly, put your phone close to the payment terminal or the card reader given to you. Keep holding it closely until you hear a ping and see a green check mark on the card reader, or when you see a check mark plus the word “Done” on your iPhone’s screen.
How Do I Use Apple Pay Work In The McDonald’s App?
Using Apple Pay in your McDonald’s app is easy. Here’s how:
- Open the app and look for the section called Mobile Order & Pay. This section only appears when you are 5 miles or less away from a McDonald’s branch.
- Place your order. Once done, check out using Apple Pay. However, this only works if you’re using an iOS device.
The app removes items that are unavailable at the location you’re near.
This means you don’t have to worry about buying unavailable items or being charged for an item that turns out to be out of the menu temporarily.
Can You Use Apple Pay With Your Apple Watch at McDonald’s?
Yes, you can.
If you don’t like using your iPhone in public and own an Apple Watch, all you have to do is follow the instructions below to pay at McDonald’s.
- On your Apple Watch, press the side button on the right dial.
- If prompted, enter your passcode.
- Lastly, put your Apple Watch close to the contactless payment terminal and wait until the payment is processed.
How To Use Apple Pay At McDonald’s Drive Thru Window With Your Apple Watch
Good news for Apple Watch owners!
You can also use your Apple Watch to pay at McDonald’s drive-thru.
- Go to the nearest McDonald’s drive thru and order as you normally do.
- Then, tell the cashier that you will pay using Apple Pay. No need to inform them you’ll use your Apple Watch.
- The cashier will pass you the payment terminal. Don’t panic. This is normal and you need to have the card reader as close to you as possible to make sure the payment goes through.
- Next, tap the button found on the right side dial twice.
- Input your password if asked.
- Lastly, put the watch near the payment reader and wait for it to process your payment.
Is Apple Pay Safe To Use At McDonald’s?
Generally, Apple Pay is considered safer than paying with your debit or credit card at many stores and restaurants.
However, it is important to note that there’s no payment method that’s 100% guaranteed safe, especially with fraud.
But Apple Pay comes with multiple layers of protection, making it harder for hackers or malicious actors to hack your funds, which aren’t available with traditional debit or credit cards.
It is a good practice to use your fingerprint, faceID or input your PIN when you use Apple Pay and never hand your device to anyone during any transaction.
Other Fast Food Stores That Accept Apple Pay
Other fast food stores that accept Apple Pay include:
- Chick Fil A
- White Castle
- Taco Bell
Other Stores That Accept Apple Pay
If you’d like to use your Apple Pay, here are some that accept this payment method:
- Acme Markets
- Food Maxx
- Save Mart
- Shop N Save
- Super Valu
- Whole Foods Market
- Winn Dixie
McDonald’s is one of the first companies to fully embrace digital wallets as a payment method.
This means that you can use Apple Pay in all kinds of transactions in the fast-food store.
You can even use your Apple Watch with your transaction.