Food Lion stores can cash checks of up to $1,000 in value, they will also accept checks of up to $50 as payment for groceries.
There is a charge of $1.99 to cash checks, this charge is not applied if you are paying for your groceries by check.
What types of checks can be cashed?
Food Lion will cash the following types of checks:
- Payroll checks
- Personal checks
- Tax refund checks
- U.S Travellers checks
- Cash rebate checks
What checks can Food Lion not cash?
There are a number of types of checks that Food Lion will not cash, these include:
- Checks that have more than one payees
- Third party personal checks
- Checks that have been altered
- Checks written in pencil
- Counter checks
- Credit card checks
- Traveler’s checks issued from foreign countries
- Payroll checks that have been handwritten
- Insurance draft checks
- Money orders
Will Food Lion cash a two-party personal check?
Food Lion will not cash two-party personal checks.
How does Food Lion process personal checks?
In order to for your personal check to be processed by Food Lion the following steps will need to be completed:
- Food Lion staff will ask to see some form of government ID to verify that your identity matches the name on the check. A Passport or Driving License is ideal.
- Food Lion will then use a third-party verification service to verify your check.
- The verification service will verify the bank details and check the amount before authorizing the check to be accepted.
- If they cannot verify your details, Food Lion will give you the contact information for the verification service so that you can find out what the issue is.
- If your details are successfully verified then you will then be asked to sign an electronic receipt for Food Lion’s records.
- The money will be cleared within 2-5 business days.
Food Lion’s Check Cashing Limits & Fees
Food Lion check-cashing limits vary depending on the type of check. It will typically cost around $1.99 to cash any check, however be aware fees are variable from store to store.
|Check Type||Fee||Minimum Amount||Cashing Limit|
|Payroll||$1.99 (in most stores)||$2.50||$1,000|
|Personal||$1.99 (in most stores)||$2.50||$50|
|Tax Refund||$1.99 (in most stores)||$2.50||$1,000|
|U.S Travellers Checks||$1.99 (in most stores)||$2.50||$499.99|
|Cash Rebate Checks||$1.99 (in most stores)||$2.50||$499.99|
Can I cash a $1200 check at Food Lion?
No, if you’re looking to cash your $1200 stimulus check at Food Lion you won’t be able to as they have a maximum cashing limit of $1,000.
However you will be able to cash your $600 stimulus checks for a fee of $1.99.
What are Food Lion hours?
Food Lion stores are open from 7am – 11pm 7 days a week.
Does Food Lion Cash Checks On Sunday?
Yes you can cash checks at Food Lion stores on Sundays.
Food Lion stores are open 7am-11pm on Sundays and all their usual services are fully operational.
Similar Stores That Cash Checks:
If there is no Food Lion store near you then both Kroger and Walmart cash checks of up to $5,000 in value and Winn Dixie will cash electronically signed payroll checks of up to $500 in value.