Most Walmart stores have a checking-cashing system in the Money Centre.
Walmart will cash personal checks in their Moneycentres up to the value of $5,000.
There is a charge of up to $4 to cash any checks under $1,000 and a charge of up to $8 to cash checks between $1,000-$5,000.
What types of checks can be cashed?
Walmart will cash the following types of checks:
- Payroll checks
- Government checks
- Tax refund checks
- Cashiers checks
- Insurance settlement checks
- retirement account disbursement checks
What checks can Walmart not cash?
There are a number of types of checks that Walmart will not cash, as they are not covered by their Moneycenter policies, these include:
- Checks that have more than one payees
- Handwritten checks
- Post-dated checks
- Starter checks
- MoneyGram money orders not issued at Walmart.
- Non-MoneyGram money orders
Will Walmart cash a two-party personal check?
Walmart will cash two-party personal checks however they will not cash two-party personal checks that exceed $200 in value.
They will have a maximum fee of $6.
How does Walmart process personal checks?
In order to for your personal check to be processed by Walmart the following steps will need to be completed:
- Moneycenter staff will ask to see ID, it must be a government-issued photo ID to allow them to verify that your identity matches the name on the check. A Passport or Driving License is ideal.
- Be aware Walmart will not accepted handwritten checks (as it is easy to forge these), they will only cash printed checks which are made out to your name.
- Walmart will then use third-party verification services to verify your check. They will either use TeleCheck or Certegy to do this.
- Telecheck or Certegy will then verify the bank details and check the amount before authorizing the check to be accepted.
- You will then be asked to sign an electronic receipt for Walmart’s records.
- The money will be cleared and wired to your account within 2-5 business days.
Walmart’s Check Cashing Limits
Walmart has a check-cashing limit of $5,000, however, from 1st January to the end of April this limit is increased to $7,500.
How much is it to cash a personal check at Walmart?
Walmart charges up to $4 for checks less than $1,000.
For checks over $1,000 there is a maximum $8 fee.
Can I cash a $1200 check at Walmart?
Yes, if you’re looking to cash your $1200 stimulus check at Walmart you can do it at their MoneyCenters for a fee of no more than $8.
$600 stimulus checks can also be cashed for a fee of no more than $4.
What is Walmart MoneyCenter?
Walmart MoneyCenter is Walmart’s store-based alternative to a bank.
You can withdraw cash, cash checks, open bank accounts, transfer currency, do direct deposits and pay bills at Walmart Moneycenters.
Walmart Moneycenters allow you to withdraw cash using your bank card. Cash withdrawals are limited to $500 per day from the cash machines or $400 a day from the teller.
Walmart Currency Transfers
Walmart Moneycenters make it easy to transfer money.
To do a currency transfer take some photo ID to the Money Services Center.
You will then be able to perform one of three types of currency transfers:
- Walmart2Walmart transfer – you can send money from one Walmart store to any other Walmart store in the United States for someone to pickup in cash.
- Western Union Transfer – send money via Western Union to any other Western Union location in the United States.
- MoneyGram Transfer – send money via MoneyGram to any other MoneyGram location in the United States.
You can pay your bills at Walmart Money Centers, bills payable include:
- Credit card payments
- Utility bills
- Insurance bills
- Mortgage bills
- Phone bills
- Child Support
What are Walmart MoneyCenter hours?
Walmart MoneyCenters are open from 8am – 8pm Monday to Saturday, on Sundays they open 10am – 6pm.
Be aware hours may vary from store to store.